Today I had coffee with two girls from high school who I had not seen in a long time -- one of them I probably haven't seen since graduation four years ago. We caught up on what we're doing now, what we have done during the past year or so and then we gossiped a bit about who we knew and what they were doing now. It was interesting talking to these girls, realizing all that people have accomplished in four years -- starting med school, pharmacy school, meeting new people, living in new places. It made me refocus a bit, realize that my generation has truly accomplished a great deal. That's a refreshing thought.
My friend from D.C. suggested I should write my own Modern Love story (see previous post). I'm going to muse over that one for a while -- not a bad idea.
(The song "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman is good, real good. I forgot how good it is. It's on repeat now on my computer. I feel like one of those girls who listen to a sappy love song over and over again after a break up. Except I'm not that pathetic. I mean this isn't a love song.)
Slate.com has an interesting video up: Calories on the menu. NYC has mandated that chain restaurants list the calorie counts of items on their menus -- so places like Subway, McDonald's and Burger King have these postings next to their sandwiches, burgers and fries. I think it's a good idea, though it could be detrimental to some people. Some are so focused on the calorie count that it consumes their life -- though, like one person interviewed said, those people typically wouldn't enter these establishments. But I think this is a step toward healthier eating habits in America ... at least an awareness. Though I think people need to return to the roots of their eating -- fresh foods, cooked in simple ways with pure ingredients. I love the idea of organic-only eating, though it's often impossible, financially, for many Americans. But if more people had a veggie garden or packed a sandwich for lunch instead of getting a burger, there would probably be healthier Americans. This gets people thinking at least.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
the Colbert Report that cookies have been replaced as the number one snack food for kids. The new top snack item is fruit! Can you believe it? I'm awfully glad to hear it.
Post a Comment