It's been a long time since I've posted - I guess trying to figure out my life here, with both work and a social life, and if pursuing this blog was worthwhile. But writing is writing and I cannot get enough of it. So I'm back, for the time being.
This city has yet to grab me the way Chicago has or Berlin did in the brief time I was there. I like it - I do. I like the neighborhoods, I like the diversity of people, I love the intellect and opportunities and the aesthetics are pretty good too. I absolutely love Eastern Market and U Street, and having my morning jog along the National Mall is a pretty spectacular thing. I guess it's hard because I don't have a specific connection to this city but me - it's not a part of my past, whether relatively recent or distant. I like places with history, and I have yet to find my history here. There is history all around me - the Capitol is blocks from my apartment. I just have to find a way to connect it all to me.
My birthday is coming up and it always makes me think of yet another year passing. Spring has always held good memories for me, dating back from high school. Proms, graduations, birthdays, relaxing time with friends, the anticipation of a long, long summer. I guess because nothing is going to change for me this summer - maybe a residence, but that's about it - that I'm having a hard time grasping spring. It's weird being out of the school calendar for the first official time - weeks, days can have the habit of merging together. I liked knowing that after May, my life would be different. I would be able to try a new job or sleep in a little or live someplace else. And then back in September, life would be where it was supposed to be. I don't think I'll be having that this year and that's a weird realization to come to. I never realized the pure freedom I had while I was in school. I have a different kind of freedom now - and I do love it. I love controlling my life and doing what I need to do with it. But it's not the same, I've definitely realized that.
Alright, it's a beautiful day. Spring is evident everywhere in my neighborhood and I don't want to miss it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment