Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Travel, a bit

So I drove up to Milwaukee for the evening to see my good friend, Kate, and grab a nice dinner. I've never been to Milwaukee and thought this was a fine excuse to see Kate and the city at the same time. I figure I have days free now -- which will probably not happen again anytime soon -- so I might as well take advantage of it.

Once I rolled into this city and was navigating the expressways, I realized how much I do love traveling. I know it sounds cheezy and cliche, but it's something that gives me life. The last time I traveled was probably to Columbus earlier in the summer. It was the Carolinas before that. These aren't long-haul trips, but they are something -- and that something keeps me going. I need to fulfill the travel bug every few weeks, in some shape or form. Sometimes the city of Chicago will do it for me. That city has enough to it that I fall in love every time I go.

Long story short, I'm sitting in this coffee shop in Milwaukee off of Brady Street. It's called Rochambo Coffeehouse and Teahouse. It's quite eclectic and artsy. I love it. The music in here is loud, I'm pretty sure some of the clientele are high and there advertisements for yoga classes. It's just great. This is exactly what I wanted to find as I navigated 294 N a while ago. I believe Kate and I are going to grab some Ethiopian food for dinner. Could it get any better?

Ahh ... wait it just did. The man who just walked into the shop is wearing a red T-shirt with the Polish flag emblem on the front. I wish I could make this stuff up.

So in honor of my little trip, here is one of my favorite poems. It was introduced to me by Garrison Keillor.

where we are (for edward field)
by Gerald Locklin

i envy those
who live in two places:
new york, say, and london;
wales and spain;
l.a. and paris;
hawaii and switzerland.
there is always the anticipation
of the change, the chance that what is wrong
is the result of where you are. i have
always loved both the freshness of
arriving and the relief of leaving. with
two homes every move would be a homecoming.
i am not even considering the weather, hot
or cold, dry or wet: i am talking about hope.

No comments: